2022 RFI for NIH Common Fund
NIH releases broad request for ideas
The NIH is asking for bold scientific ideas to inform solicitations under the Common Fund. A small group of ideas that best meet the criteria and are deemed to have the highest potential as Common Fund programs will be provided to senior NIH leaders for further consideration. Submitters of selected ideas will be invited to present their idea and respond to questions from senior NIH leadership. Invitations to present ideas will be sent in approximately early November 2022, with presentation to NIH leadership in approximately late November or early December 2022.
There are three priorities that ideas should fit beneath:
- Transformational Science and Discovery
- Catalytic Data Resources
- Re-engineering the Research Enterprise
What they want to hear
The NIH requests ideas for potential new Common Fund programs that may be supported in fiscal year 2025 or beyond.
Idea submitters are encouraged to keep the following characteristics of Common Fund programs in mind. In general, Common Fund programs:
- Are trans-NIH (not disease-specific or relevant to the mission of only one or a few NIH Institutes and Centers)
- Require a large, coordinated effort in which many investigators undertake research projects directed at a common goal
- Have specific goals and deliverables that can be achieved in 5-10 years
- Are sufficiently large and complex (with an approximate budget of $25-50 million/year for 5-10 years) to warrant a trans-NIH, coordinated approach
NIH encourages idea submissions that describe what you think is the greatest opportunity or challenge in biomedical research today and what makes it the right time to address this idea through a Common Fund program.
NIH encourages concise ideas to facilitate the review process. Submissions should focus on broad concepts rather than detailed descriptions.
The details for submission
All responses must be submitted electronically on the submission website. Organizations and groups of people working together to develop ideas are strongly encouraged to submit a single response that reflects the views of their organization and membership as a whole.
Responses must be received by 11:59:59 pm (ET) on Friday, September 30, 2022
Access the RFI here: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-RM-22-016.html