NEH Summer Stipends (Projects Beginning May 1, 2021)
The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Division of Research Programs is accepting applications for the Summer Stipends program.
The National Endowment for the Humanities’ Summer Stipends program aims to stimulate new research in the humanities and its publication. The program works to accomplish this goal by:
- Providing small awards to individuals pursuing advanced research that is of value to humanities scholars, general audiences, or both
- Supporting projects at any stage of development, but especially early-stage research and late-stage writing in which small awards are most effective
- Furthering the NEH’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in the humanities by encouraging applications from independent scholars and faculty at Hispanic Serving
- Institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Tribal Colleges and Universities, and community colleges
Summer Stipends support continuous full-time work on a humanities project for a period of two consecutive months. NEH funds may support recipients’ compensation, travel, and other costs related to the proposed scholarly research.
Summer Stipends are awarded to individual scholars. Organizations are not eligible to apply, even if an institution of higher education serves as a nominator.
Applicants may seek funding for projects based on completed dissertations. You must state in your narrative that the application is to revise a dissertation, and you must explain how the new project moves beyond the original dissertation.
NEH invites research applications from scholars in all disciplines of the humanities and related social sciences, and it encourages submissions from independent scholars and junior scholars. Examples of previously funded Summer Stipends may be viewed here.
ASU is eligible to submit a maximum of two applications per campus (Tempe, West, Polytechnic, Downtown Phoenix).
Please see this Limited Submission site for more details and to apply.
- Internal deadline: July 29, 2020
- Sponsor deadline: September 23, 2020.
For questions, please contact Limited.Submissions@asu.edu.